Friday, December 19, 2008

Celebrating the Holiday Season

Doug's office party

This year it was our turn to host Doug's work party. I don't know why the doctors have made it a tradition to have the parties at one of their homes, but they have.  So, being the party planner I am, decided to have a Mexican Fiesta.  I made shredded beef tacos, Mexican chili, salsa, Seafood Ceviche, black beans, regular beans, Texas chocolate sheet cake, Carmel's, and Christmas Peppermint punch.  In addition I bought tamales, bundt cakes,  chips and prizes.  Usually the food is all catered, but this year I wanted to save some money so we could give out prizes to Doug's employees.  

At first we had every table guess what song matched the crazy saying. The table who won each got a big candy bar. Next we played the kisses game (don't worry no one really kissed). We had 5 tables of 8- each person had 1 Hershey kiss in front of them. The first person at that table had to put on gloves, open the Hershey kiss candy, eat it and pass the gloves on to the next person.  The prize- $10 gift cards (same table won). We also played, "sing that tune". One member in each table had a white paper stuck on their chair. That player had to put on silencer headphones and sing the song that was playing. My daughter Julia decided who did the best job...once again the same table won- this time big white comfy bath towels. How does one table win almost all of the prizes???? And no, it was not my table!  Next we did an ornament exchange. I had 2 ornaments that got additional surprises (1- two jazz game tickets, 2- a $25 gift card to the Cheese cake factory.   The party seemed to go well.. The house looked good as long as you didn't make it back into my bedroom (I had my family room sectional in there along with everything else that needed to be gone in order to make room).  I forgot to take pictures... just too busy being host.  Hey, at least it's not our turn again for 4 years.  Yep, 4 years!  Plus, next time, I am totally finding a place to hold that many people comfortably, and I don't think that will be my house again.


Christmas Luminary Celebration

December 6, 2008 

This holiday season, the Jones Meadow Neighborhood

 shared the Christmas story with the community. My dream was to have a

lighted luminary path through our neighborhood. My dream came alive! Along 

the path we had a series of performances held 

with carolers, music, and. of course, the manger scene.

This is a picture of my house with sign #2 of the Christmas story

Sarah singing with the young women

Emily playing the piano at one of the stations
Ariana singing Christmas songs at one of the stations
Sarah taking her turn singing solo at another station
Ariana and Maya walking the Christmas luminary path

In my home town they do a similar Christmas Luminary each year. I always wanted to carry this tradition on. Well, since I am once again the ward activities director in our ward I thought it would be nice to do a community service, a ward bounding moment, and a dream come true all in one.  Thanks to all of my help, the luminaries turned out great. 
Hopefully this tradition will continue.



Christmas Houses 2008











We made our traditional Christmas houses. Lucky for us, Doug's parents were able to join us as well.  I think everyone did a terrific job! I don't know why I don't have a picture of mine or Doug's houses. I am sure we just didn't want to make the kids feel bad.  LOL

0 comments: