Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Valletta (Malta) Tuesday Day 3



What a sight!  As soon as we looked out the window we had to go on top of the boat to see how beautiful the port of Malta’s capital city of Valletta was. The shimmering blue harbor is a stark contrast to the limestone walls that outline the city. Valletta’s heavy stone fortifications were so amazing in the early morning light with the limestone glowing and golden promise of the day ahead. It was truly breathtaking.  Once we were able to get off the ship we headed into town and walked along the cobblestone streets of Valletta to catch the bus to Medina. Now when I say bus, we are talking classic busses that have been well maintained and are just beautiful. While we waited for our bus we took some pictures at the Triton Fountain.  Then our adventure begins.  We got off the bus to go see the Blue Grotto.  We went on a small boat that brought us to the caves.  I had no idea the water would be so crystal blue.  The boat ride was well worth it.  We then made the long walk back up the hill to wait for the bus again. Next, we headed to the ruins.  Apparently they have no idea why these ruins are there.  It was fascinating to see and of course we made up our own stories of why the stones were there. (I still think it was the place they took the psycho’s)

 

We did have a little time to walk down the streets of Valletta to enjoy the charming shops along the Grand Harbor and in the city itself.  




































3 comments:

Palmer Family said...

Um...that picture fourth from the bottom is such a perfect photograph! I want to blow that up, frame it, and put it in my kitchen!

Evvie Turley said...

Wow, what a trip! How incredible to see all of the history and culture with your parents and siblings. I'm so glad you got to go. :) Thanks for posting all of these amazing pictures too. I love it!

Cindi said...

Wow! What an awesome trip. Your pictures are magnificent.